Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Youtube philosophy- UPDATED

I want to give you the happy ending before the whole story. Check this out, say a loving word to help a brother see more clearly, and the Lord will make it work out for His glory. This video was uploaded 2 days ago and has 177,990 hits and counting. I submitted it to Mashable's Viral Video of the Day.

Jefferson  Bethke has now taken this post off his wall, presumably as it may be seen as bad publicity.

Mark Sara Cowperthwaiteposted toJefferson Bethke
Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate the message on the video, but caution the use of terms improperly. See my blog post at http://cowperthwaitefamily.blogspot.com/2012/01/video-worth-sharing-with-few-cautions.html to see what I meant. No ill intentions, really, I hope you understand my heart and my caution when it comes to speaking for Christ Jesus our Lord.
 ·  · 7 minutes ago · 

    • Mark Sara Cowperthwaite Jesus didn't come to abolish religion. He fulfilled the Mosaic Law and began a true, pure, and undefiled religion as mentioned in James 1:26,27. Sorry if this got you bad press, I think we got you some Youtube visits, LOL.
      5 minutes ago · 

    • Jefferson Bethke agreed brother!!! I'm 100% with ya on that one. just using a word in order to contrast my point
      2 minutes ago · 


This video has been circulating on social media sites, and is popular among my friends. I have a lot to say on this, though I feel many would see my thoughts as skeptical. I am trying to be fair to the writer and also true to the message of God's Word, the Bible. Check it out for yourself.

The title is "Why I hate religion, but love Jesus"


I like the idea of this video, but feel that it needs clarification. I define religion differently than this man does(by using a dictionary instead of common vernacular), and often you could insert the word "flesh" where he uses "religion". Be cautious in interpreting this video, as James 1:26,27 speaks of pure and undefiled religion as something good. In fact, the Lord Jesus Christ came to fulfill the Law of Moses, not abolish it. While the sacrifice is done(It is finished, praise God!), we are exhorted in God's Word that "If you love Me [the Lord Jesus Christ] you will keep my commandments"

Religion as the man in the video defines it, is man searching for God, but that does not agree with the dictionary, which says, " 1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.2.Details of belief as taught or discussed." With all these things in mind, let the message stir you, but don't throw out anything that God designed just to sound cool. I was considering also the idea that we are to obey God because we love Him. Again, this is Biblical, not man made or religious. Jesus' major objection with "religious people" was those whose self righteousness made religion a sham.

OK,I need to shut up now. I have now watched the video for the 3rd time and I think terminology is the major issue that needs to be defined. This man claims that Jesus hated religion and spoke against it. Jesus spoke against hypocrites, not religion. The religion was what Jesus Himself practiced, but the Pharisees didn't really know God, they just used God as a means to prop themselves up and feel superior. They devoured the widow's houses, while James 1:26,27 tells us to care for the widows and orphans if we want true and undefiled religion. Overall, I like the video, though I wish it was clearer, containing terminology that was more Biblical.

On a more personal note, I resonate a lot with this message of playing church. This was my life for the first 17 years. I was saved by God's grace at 25 years of age, and now see that no faking it or obeying the rules without the relationship will do. Praise God for grace that made a debtor of me, to love and mercy in Christ Jesus my Lord.


Updated- Facebook is blowing up with this video

Some Facebook comments are given below, pardon the choppy nature of the writing here

The book of James says earlier in chapter 1 that we are to be "doers of the Word and not hearers only". He goes on to say that those who hear only "are deluding themselves". See also James chapter 2 with faith and works. Telling someone to be warm and filled, but doing nothing to help them get warm, not feeding them, that is defiled religion. Religion is not bad, empty and vain religion is bad.

We DO encourage folks to watch this video as the message is really challenging. His claim to hate religion and place that hate on Jesus is in error. I believe the desire was right, the terminology was wrong. When using Bible terms, one must be cautious, so as not to be found on the wrong side of God. Pure and undefiled religion is something God seems to promote.

English: Religion
Strong's Reference:G2356
θρησκεία thrēskeia
From a derivative of G2357; ceremonial observance: - religion, worshipping.

This word is used to describe the Pharisees in Acts 23:5 but also is in James 1:26,27 in a positive way. Religion in and of itself is neutral from my understanding. Empty, vain, or say-so religion is useless, as is a faith without works is dead. Still, you cannot say you love Jesus and hate religion without encountering serious interpretive difficulties.

Regarding Jesus's supposed hatred of religion:
Jesus didn't say He hated religion. He chastised hypocrites, but then went to the Temple and never mentioned religion being bad. He scolded them for making the Temple (His Father's house of worship) into a money making place.