Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pleases pray for us in this trial.

Many of our regular readers on this blog have known our family for quite some time. Others have known us primarily since we entered full time ministry in January of 2009, and thereafter. Many have heard the stories of trials and difficulties that have come our way. You have heard how the Lord has brought healing, comfort, strength, finances, and miracles of all sorts. We don't often publicize our trials until they are long since past, and then only to share God's goodness and mercy. Today I want to share with you a current need for prayer, as we are not sure how this will turn out. We are trusting the Lord and asking for your prayer on our behalf.

This Sunday(Christmas Day), after over 3 years since my (Mark) last seizure, I had four in an evening while we gathered for our church meeting. Two days later, two more in the evening. These seizures are known as partial complex or absence seizures. While having a seizure, I can hear and see most of what is going on around me, but I cannot speak or react. I lose ability to move for 30-90 seconds and when I awaken I feel very tired and groggy. I slur my speech and my face droops for 5-10 minutes, and then over the next 1/2 hour or so I will return to [as close as I ever get to] normal.

Some of  you remember from years past what this was like, what we went through with doctors, medications, and such. You will also recall that we believe it was God who brought healing for a time, which allowed us to fulfill the ministry to which the Lord was calling us. That ministry has continued, and we have no plans to quit even if some things may need to change. We may have to do less, or maybe more but in different ways. This is all new, and the Lord may remove this trial tomorrow. We are asking you to pray.

Part of our understanding the call to public ministry was after feeling the desire to go and praying about the leading, I was still having seizures from time to time. Would we be able to travel the country, spreading the Gospel, preaching and counseling, organizing outreaches if I could not drive or even be counted on to be capable of speech? Could we do what we felt God calling us to do if I was physically handicapped like this? We prayed at length, and the Lord took my seizures away for a time. August 2, 2008 was the last seizure I had until this past Sunday. We are asking for prayer, for wisdom and if it is God's will, healing.

We don't presume to know that the Lord wants me healed. We have examined our lives and asked the Lord to show us any sin that would be causing us to be chastened. In light of that examination, we have found nothing that should lead us to believe that is the case. From here, we trust the Lord day by day to continue to give His direction, strength, energy, and ability to do whatever He calls us to do. We presume nothing, but to continue on in His work as He has clearly shown us to do. If there is never another seizure, we will praise the Lord. If I have 20 a day for the rest of my life, I will praise the Lord! If God allows some other circumstance of health, no matter the cost, we will praise the Lord. He is good, His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations. He is worthy of our praise no matter what difficulties come!

For those we will be visiting with and laboring among in the coming days, please understand if we have to back out of certain commitments, take a day off, or otherwise cannot do all that we have been doing in the Lord's service. We are not done serving, but we may have to take a lesser responsibility for a while. What tomorrow holds, we do not know. We ask that you make it a matter of prayer. Thank you for your continued support of our family and ministry. We love to serve the Lord and His people, and even if what we do changes, we will seek the Lord's guidance in what other doors He may open for us that can be done well despite circumstances that might get us down.

Mark for the Cowperthwaite family