Sunday, December 19, 2010

A sister in Christ writes...

We recently received  this email from a dear saint who was commended into the Lord's care to labor for Him in Zambia in 1958. Alice White served in medical missions, but began her ministry here in Key West many years ago. We hope you are encouraged by this lovely email sent to encourage us in the Lord's work in Key West. 
~Mark

Dear Mark and Sara,

I just about jumped up in the air to read in Assembly Care Ministries that the Lord has called you to Key West! My great-grandfather and his brother built the chapel there, my grandmother and her family, including my mother, Ruby were brought up in the assembly and were very active in many areas of out reach there. Mother went to 5 schools in the city for 30 years, a different school each afternoon for afterschool Bible stories. From the time I was 11 years old I lived in Key West, taught school there and in 1958 was commended to the Lord’s Work in Zambia (then Northern Rhodesia), where I have served Him since 1959.

Please keep in touch and let me know what is happening in the assembly there. Be assured of my prayers and the prayers of the other missionaries here at Chavuma. And pray for us also! We have an urgent need for a hospital Administrator/Accountant (or one of each?!), doctors and nurses as the medical work is large and we have a huge work with HIV/AIDS patients both in the hospital and in the villages.

Most of my grandparents brothers and sisters moved to the Miami area during the depression. My parents met in Miami, and I was born in Miami Beach. My father died when I was three, and my mother managed a small hotel in Miami Beach until 1945 when we moved to Key West where my grandparents were living. Our home was 616 Caroline Street, next door to the old post office on Simonton Street. After I finished college at Bryan College in Tennessee, I returned to Key West and taught 2nd , 3rd, and 6th grades at Poinciana school for 4 years. During that time my mother bought a house on the corner of Waddell and Vernon avenue, by the beach, and my grandparents came out there to live with us. 

The Lord clearly showed me that he wanted me in Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) so I came here in 1959. My grandparents, uncles and Mother continues to live in Key West. After my grandparents and one of my uncles went to be with the Lord, I returned to Key West in 1971 for 2 years and got my RN from the Community College on Stock Island and then returned to Zambia. Mother remained in Key West, and in 1979 the Lord led us to sell the KW home, and Mother came to Zambia at age 71. 

Up until 1999 when she had several TIA’s she taught ladies’ Bible studies, Sunday School, girls club, Religious education classes in both primary and secondary school and did the mission accounts. She was ill out here for several years, and went to be with the Lord in 2008, almost 101 years old! 

I would love to meet you and will try to answer any questions you have about the assembly.

Yours in Christ,
Alice