Saturday, October 2, 2010

Unity in Christ/ old hurts die hard

A brother was talking tonight,and I found that as he spoke I was drawn back to my experiences in many churches while living with my parents. I was raised in an "Independent Fundamental Baptist Church". I notice that there are many different "flavors" of Baptists nowadays, as there are of Methodists, Assemblies of God, Pentecostals, and many more that I am sure I have missed.

The thing is that as I encounter people in our Gospel work, and in daily life everywhere we go, I meet those who call themselves Christians. This identifier is almost always tagged along with a denominational name such as those above. I guess I have just been wondering more and more why
we think we need these qualifiers. If one follows Jesus Christ's teachings, and believes in the authority of God's Word as the guide for all truth, you would think there would be less denominations, yet it seems every year a few more are added.

With all the new names, we get more divisions, more cliques. The result is less unity (and effectiveness of ministry) in the church, even though disunity is strictly forbidden in  multiple passages of  Scripture. Some even segment themselves off by what Bible translation they use, and often the term "non-denominational" has been  used, showing the world that they are right to say that Christians overall don't get along with each other. This is a terrible testimony to those we are trying to share the Gospel message with, and is one of the major excuses people use for not listening to the message of the Bible or attending Gospel meetings.

Getting back to the point this brother made tonight, I have seen this "endless genealogy"(Titus 3:9, 1 Timothy 1:3-5) and supposition lived out too often. There are some exceptions, and nobody ought to get all worked up thinking, "He is talking badly about us". In our ministry, we have been able to work outside "denominational  distinction", and just "preach Christ, and Him crucified" as Paul said. There are good reasons that  people gather to worship and pray where they do, most of which is based on doctrine, some on preference, some on  personality conflicts. I, myself, have left churches over issues that I should not have, and see as I age that these conflicts leave scars.

I know of an instance where a family left a church 30 years earlier, and to this day they will not step through the doors. It could be that the conflict was resolved, the doctrine corrected. In this specific situation, most of the members have moved on, leaving one or two families and a hundred new people in a church that is radically different from the one left so long before. They will never know this unless they try to reconcile, which they say they will not.

O, how our hearts can become hardened, we can hold grudges, or block off all contact and fellowship with the church based on what happened decades ago. Some have vocalized to me their contempt for people they haven't spoken to in decades. I wonder how this is edifying to the church of Jesus Christ? I wish I were being overly dramatic, but the truth is this is all too common.

In our work proclaiming the Gospel, we have to be cautious that we are proclaiming a Biblical message. If you question any of these doctrines, feel free to comment or email me. The following is not an exhaustive list, but the major doctrines that we need to agree on if we are to labor together in the Gospel harvest field. If we agree on these things we can have fellowship, labor together to proclaim the Gospel, etc.

God is holy, creator, eternal, loving yet will judge sin 
Jesus is deity and never sinned, He literally died and rose to life again 
the means of salvation is by grace through faith, not by works; 
The necessity of repentance for salvation; 
Heaven and Hell are literal. 

There are other issues that we can disagree on (I will not get into them here) that are thoroughly Biblical, though we must be gracious in our disagreements and use God's Word to weigh it all out. We should not avoid talking to other Christians or treat them as heathens if we disagree on Bible version, modesty standards,  music preferences, dress codes, dispensationalism, or future prophetic/eschatology. Even if we are sure we are right on a point, avoiding people is never going to convince them. Talking and lovingly sharing God's Word with them may change their mind (if indeed we are right). Some of my best friends and I disagree on things, but we can open the Bible, talk, pray together, and trust that the Holy Spirit will guide us to the truth if we are willing to humble ourselves and listen. Many of my dearest brothers in Christ gather with different churches, in varying denominations.

I have been blessed to share from God's Word in many churches and para-church settings. I have dear friends from many denominations, and we disagree at times. We might even hash over an issue (in love seeking the truth, not arguing) and agree to disagree. These studies have caused me to get to know my Bible even better, to seek God in urgent prayer to find the truth.

My best friend and I differ often, but we agree on many things, not just the basics. My wife and I have seen our relationship with God grow, along with our opportunities to teach God's Word, as we have humbled ourselves and admitted that we don't know it all. This is hard for me, being a prideful man in the flesh, but I am learning to  walk in the spirit, and not fulfill the desires of the flesh. I am a work in progress, and God's grace is noticeably abundant to me. I thank God that He is rich in mercy, patient in teaching, and especially longsuffering with me, a faulty and prideful sinner who is seeking God earnestly.

Next time you walk past a church building, or meet a professing Christian, try to find ways to encourage them. Talk about the Savior, share what you have been learning from studying the Bible, offer to pray with them, invite them over for a time of fellowship. Maybe start a men's breakfast, a ladies study, and invite folks from other churches to fellowship with you. They might dress differently or know different songs, but I bet you will find a blessing for yourself and for them as you reach out in love to a brother or sister in Christ. If there is an old hurt you are hanging on to, find the strength to forgive even if the offender does not ask or admit fault. Bitterness can eat us up, and forgiveness is a hallmark of the Christian walk. If you don't have the strength in your  heart to forgive, ask God to change your heart, to repair the old hurts and experience the healing touch of the Lord.