Friday, May 28, 2010

Remembering the fallen

Both of my brothers, along with my father, many uncles and other family members and friends have served or currently serve in the US military. My oldest brother currently serves in the US Marines and has had the job at times of informing families of soldier's deaths. He has had to deal with "churches" that protest military funerals, and many things that I wish no one ever had to deal with.  I wish to distance myself from those that preach hate and therefore dishonor God's name. This is not an anti-military post. 


It has been pointed  out that my views on this holiday may offend some. Maybe it would be better if I wrote this last week or in January, but in considering all those that have lost their  lives in war, I was drawn to think (perhaps selfishly) of those who I labor alongside and those that have gone before in the battle for lost souls. We do what we do to glorify God, and I am sorry if this seems offensive. As you read on, you will see this was not the intent. I would never dishonor those who have given their lives to save others. I have often heard people talk about non-veterans and other loved ones on this holiday, and that inspired this post. 


This weekend, as the United States of America remembers it's men and women that died in military service, I find myself in a strange place. I find myself remembering the heroes that have fought and died in the army of the Lord. For these soldiers who endured torture, loss of family, loss of homes, and loss of life, there are not any parades or sales at Walmart. 


You will not find their names in  most history books, but as I read my Bible I cannot help but see the stains from the blood they shed to keep God's Word spreading throughout the earth, following the commands of their King. They shed innocent blood in view of what 1 Peter 2 tells us  is "our example" to  follow "in His (Jesus Christ's) steps" Truly, these soldiers that have died for Christ wish no memorial for themselves, but desire that any attention given to their lives and deaths be all for God's glory. That is what they pledged allegiance to long before the USA or many modern governments existed. These often have no graves, no mourners, and even their bones were burned or fed to the lions for sport of those looking on.


It was because of the blood of the martyrs for Christ that I can enjoy the comforts of North American Christianity. It is because of God's Word and the stories of Paul, Stephen, and Christ Himself that I can appreciate other fallen soldiers. This list of "others" would include countless fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, from every part of the world. They will be rewarded, and already are, to be in the presence of the King of Kings for eternity, having died for His cause. 


As surely as each country honors their military members, there ought to be honor given to those who give not just their lives in death, but every moment of every day in life for the only cause that will be worth dying for in the light of eternity.I guess as I get older, my heroes are changing. Those that I used to idolize and look up to have been proven to be no less flawed than myself. I choose now to serve, to honor, the only one who is worthy, my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I have no more idols, I pledge allegiance to God.


I find myself asking, why do I know the names of many soldiers in physical armies, who are praised in the history books? Are we teaching our children that these are more important that died for earthly kings and those things considered to be patriotic? If I were to try, could I even remember as many names of those who were willing to die for the cause of the Living God, making Him known throughout the earth? We put military heroes in flag-draped coffins, but generally disregard those who have died for Christ. 


We hear of Christian martyrs today, pastors, evangelists, teachers and many faithful witnesses of the Gospel killed for preaching God's Word, and they get a blip on the news, if that. We tend to forget that both sides of every war think they are right. One side of these wars is wrong, maybe both. Can we be honest enough to admit that we all tend to be more worried about health care, taxes, and the economy than honoring God? As always, the more I write, the more I am convicted in my own heart and have to repent before the Lord for my unfaithfulness.


I find myself seeing the full scope of what it means to be a stranger and an alien in this world. My days are no longer wrapped up in politics, in the church or outside of it. There is little profit in politics in the secular world, with most everyone I know being dissatisfied with whatever person has been given authority to make laws, enforce them, or interpret them. It seems we have become, too often, a nation of complainers and grumblers. 




For years I have been told in regard to some subjects to keep quiet, and I have had to learn to choose my words more carefully. Know that nothing less than a pure spirit of love for the brethren and glory to God is my sincere motivation in speaking today. I am not calling out any sin, nor separating myself from my brothers and sisters in Christ in regards to this topic. I have spoken out for God in public, in private, and have felt the wrath of many people. Still, I sit here today and write this note. I loathe, as does God, disunity among His church, the bride of Christ. My only aim is the glory of God in Christ through His people. 

I understand that there is a time to speak, and a time to be quiet. There have been times that I have tried to make a point, and then been misunderstood. That happens, as I am human and have many faults. This note is simply my Memorial Day post.  

What I have been looking at today is what matters for eternity, and many Christians will distance themselves from me for such thinking. Some will agree, but most will take this post as an attack and lack of patriotism. If you read this and see nothing but that, you must search  much deeper. You must start with God's Word and its view on the world we live in. You must see the world through the heart of a God who created all things, the reality of our existence. 

God is the Creator of Muslims and Christians, liberals, conservatives, and abstainers, too. God cares about unborn babies, and He also wishes to be reconciled to murderers, rapists, and tax cheats. If Hitler had repented of his sin before his death, then I would welcome him  as a brother when I get to heaven. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not understood the complete forgiveness that removes ALL sin as far as the east is from the west. 

God made me, and I sinned against Him. For that, I deserve hell for eternity. Yet, God commended His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Do we really believe that? Is that the most important thing to you today? Have we put God on the back burner so that we could try to fix the injustices of the world via laws, armies, and politics? Surely God has set these things in order, but they are never to be seen as our salvation. 

Our salvation came in God the Son, who came as a man to die in my place. Our salvation is Jesus Christ. He is the only one I serve, the only one I will pledge my allegiance to. That statement has gotten scorn before, but it is the cry of the disciples of Jesus when they were told to not speak in His name. This singular allegiance has caused the death of men and women in every civilization in the Common Era,  so called. Allegiance to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit has cost the lives of great men all through recorded history. It may some day cost me my life, and I will be proud to lay down my life for the Lord, should that be in His will for my life. If that day never comes, I wish to be memorialized as one who lived in light of eternity serving the only King worth dying for. I fall short often, but God is merciful to grant yet another chance to give  Him glory with each breath that He gives me.