Saturday, March 15, 2008

Reverence in worship

Passages to read-Acts 2:42,1 Cor. 11:17-34, Isaiah 6:3,5 Psalm 96:9, Matt 26:26-30, Mark 14:22-26, Luke 22:14-20
I was reading "His Dying Request" today, a collection of writings about the Lord's supper, and the true act of worship. I have read this before a few times, and recently purchased some copies to give to folks that I thought would learn from it. It is a collection of writings from preachers and authors such as H.A. Ironside, C.H. Spurgeon, Charles Stanley (not the TV preacher) and David Dunlap(the man who sent this to me). It covers a lot of ground in a short number of pages, but remains centered on the theme of communion and worship, and all that it means.
Growing up in a typical Baptist church, communion was something we did monthly or quarterly, a routine you got used to. It was scripted, bland, and never explained very well to the uninitiated. As a child, I was told that it was our way of remembering Christ's sacrifice of His body and blood. That was as far as it ever went.
As I continued in church over the years, I always had the same thoughts on why we did this service, and never took it very seriously. I just took the little cup and bread or cracker that was passed and did what everyone else did. We waited for the preacher to tell us when to eat and drink, and heard the same verses over and over. There was no worship, just ceremony. As with many things, I have learned that the way you understand a thing has a lot to do with how you perceive it. Since I was never told what it truly meant, or that it was a reverent time to spend in quiet contemplation of what it was that Jesus really sacrificed for me, it just became a background, something we do once in a while, but not the focus of the service. Wow, was I missing out!
A friend told me yesterday of a Christian who thought that if Jesus was to walk in the room and talk to him, that he would want to give Him a hug and would have all kinds of questions for Jesus. Well, I hate to tell this person, but if Jesus were to walk into a room I was in, I would be immediately falling on my face in worship and awe of who He is. I think the modern gospel approach to things has given people the false assumption that Jesus is "your buddy" or "a great friend" to hang out with and ask all your probing questions about the meaning of life. Well, I would say that if you don't know that we were created to bring glory and worship to God, and not to have all our questions answered, then you are missing the boat.
The attitude I had going into the communion service was just that. Jesus was a friend, someone who did a great thing for me, and so I am grateful. While that is true, the love of God in sending Jesus to die for me is the greatest gift I could ever receive, there is also the unavoidable truth that Jesus is completely God, holy and righteous, and worthy of praise and glory. This does not conjure up images in my mind of someone to play catch with or chat about the weather. Jesus is not your buddy, He is to be your Lord and master.
We need to remember that when we take the bread and the cup, we are taking part in the breaking of the body of Jesus. We are taking part(symbolically) of the blood of Jesus. Just as baptism is symbolizing our part in the death to ourselves, and our life through Christ, these emblems are not to be taken lightly. We should be concentrating on the center of our worship, the Lord Jesus and His atoning sacrifice.
It is also a time of rejoicing, knowing that because of what was done at Calvary, we are able to take part in this feast of life. A gentleman I know uses the term often, and it is very fitting "blood bought" means that we are purchased possessions of God. Jesus paid for our sins and imputed His righteousness to those who believe on Him and make Him the Lord of their lives. This could only be accomplished by the spotless "Lam of God who takes away the sin of the world" This is not some light hearted thing, but the rejoicing that comes over one who is brought back from death and offered eternal life.
In closing, I would like to challenge those who have taken this service lightly, to read the passages of the "last supper" and those dealing with how Jesus told us to remember Him. Try to see what it was He was showing the disciples. Jesus knew they would easily be distracted by life, and forget what it was they were supposed to be living for. The early church met and broke bread together regularly, and spent time in worship, true worship. They held in reverence what it meant when Jesus allowed Himself to be arrested, beaten, persecuted, and killed though He Himself knew no sin. They knew, as we should also know, that we could never have earned favor with God because of our sin. That should be a sobering thought to anyone who understands it.
I hope this isn't confusing anyone, and I would welcome questions. I would also like to recommend the book "His dying request" by David Dunlap. You can get one from his website, http://bibleandlife.org
Have a great Lord's day tomorrow.
Mark