Saturday, March 8, 2008

Lamb chops- headed to a plate near me

With the completion of the push cart today, It is on to the next project. Okay, so the thing doesn't exactly have brakes yet, and needs to be "prettied up" a bit. The kids want to paint it and make it look spiffy. I am all about functionality, not looks, so I don't care what they paint it like. I do have to put on the brakes before they take it down the road, but not bothering with that until the weather is a bit better.
So, we have been talking about a sheep this spring. We have the land, grass, and housing to work with. Virginia would love to have her own pet since she really misses the dog. The dog ran off over a year ago, so I don't expect to see him come back. Besides that, I prefer to let our animals know that they are expected for dinner, and I don't have a craving for dog just yet.
We plan to get a male lamb that is weaned, and ready for pasture. He will no doubt be pampered a bit. We could have 2, or just let the sheep chase the chickens around, as they will be sharing a fenced in area. I would like to raise him(or them) until they are large enough to butcher and eat this fall. That is the plan, and Virginia is fine with eating her pets, usually chicken, but rabbit would be fine with her too.
It has rained for the whole day, which is better than the frozen mix we expected. I am excited about this Lord's day, as I have not seen the new baby born to a family at chapel. We also love the time in the Word of God and the fellowship. May write a bit later. Hope all is well. Tonight, I will be counting sheep, or maybe lamb chops as I drift off to slumber.

Mark