Monday, January 28, 2008

John 19- promises made, promises kept

I was sitting in the "communion" service at chapel yesterday and I knew the Lord was speaking to me. I could feel the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart about John 19 and the fulfillment of Scripture. What I didn't know was that God was not speaking to me alone. Evidently, from the way the service unfolded and the planned activities that I knew nothing about, we all needed to learn something about God's timing, His will and plan for the world.
First, I wanted to point out what I saw in John 19. "23 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. 24They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did."
These verses show us one of the many fulfillments of prophecy in the Old Testament. Now, the Jews knew these Scriptures, and any Roman that was involved in the crucifixion of Jesus certainly didn't want to fulfill these prophecies, yet as God planned before the earth was ever created, every "I" was dotted and every "t" crossed in the proof that Jesus of Nazareth was indeed the Son of God.
Verse 28"After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."
Yet again we see that even minor details like Jesus being offered vinegar to drink. Psalm 69:21 told this scene exactly even though it was penned many years before. Only God is the author of these events. He alone is able to bring all things to pass according to His will.
Verse 31"The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. 32Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him. 33But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: 34But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. 35And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe. 36For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken. 37And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced."
Prophecy upon prophecy, proof on top of proof, just brings us even more into the light of God. He shows us these things to prove Himself to us and to show His mighty power. It was after hearing no less than 3 men in the church speak, totally ignorant of what the other was led to say, that I knew that God was trying to tell me something. I was truly blown away when later on, I found out that the film we would watch later would be proving so much more so the same point. God used a group of men that could not possibly coordinate amongst themselves this effort to show me that the Holy Spirit indeed speaks to the hearts of those that follow after God and truly seek His face. I have felt and known the presence of God in our midst on many occasions, but this just made my jaw drop to see how He brings all things together.
Looking at the Bible that we have so readily available today, I see how 40 or so men who lived different lives, in different cultures, countries, and with different experiences were used by God to pen a series of letters and books chronicling the mighty works of God throughout history. It is beyond my human reasoning to see how this is possible, but it reminds me again and again that we are not able in our human understanding to comprehend all that God has to show us. We can only surrender ourselves to God's will and follow the example and commands that Jesus set forth for us. It is what we were made to do, to glorify the God that put all things in motion for He alone is worthy to be praised. I count it a privilege to stand among those who name the name of Christ. I also count it a great responsibility to carefully follow what we, as Christians, have been told to do. This is a struggle some days, but the days I do follow His lead, God shows me what He can do with a heart willing to be obedient. I pray that these days are the larger part of the rest of my life. I pray that you will also feel the joy and awe that comes from watching God work in your lives.

Mark