Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My 2 Cents Worth Regarding "Gay Marriage"

The following is my expanded comment on a recent Facebook status from an acquaintance that stated" The fact that you can't sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we have already redefined marriage". This (jocular?) statement lacks merit on a few fronts, not the least of which is that marriage has never been Biblically nor legally defined by the exchange of livestock. This tactic of portraying marriage as some archaic property exchange only upheld in nomadic societies is not accurate historically, Biblically, nor logically. I understand my arguments will anger some, but I just call 'em like I see 'em.

"Marriage would not be redefined by the content of the dowry. Indeed, this could have been paid in multiple ways including payment of animals, money, or servitude for an agreed period of time. Biblically, marriage was defined when it was first instituted by God between Adam and Eve. Indeed, no dowry at all was paid nor was there any ceremony. God made a woman for the man as a helper and told them to be fruitful and multiply."



Though the Bible declares homosexuality to be an abomination, if one chooses to cohabitate or have sexual relations with those of their own gender, they are not breaking the law but they are also not married. I don't care if those in such relationship are given tax privileges or property rights or such things(most Christians disagree with me on this), but it isn't marriage. In the words of the great theologian Tim Sample, "If my cats had kittens in the oven, I wouldn't call 'em biscuits"

Redefining a word is not the real issue in my opinion, but rather seeking approval or tolerance of sinful and abominable activity. Marriage is the union of a man and woman, whether governed by the church, state, or just between them and God. It is not a legal situation, though the state has chosen to govern it outside of their authority. Marriage is also not properly authorized by the church, clergy, or any religious institution, but only by God. There is no power vested in the preacher to pronounce anyone husband and wife. See my blog for a lengthy theological explanation of this generally misunderstood fact. The state can approve of something, but that doesn't make it right. They can tax, penalize, or indict someone for many things, but there is no current law stating that a man cannot have a homosexual relationship. It just isn't marriage.

Legalize civil unions if you like, I don't care at all. This is not (on my part) about hatred, anger, nor prejudice, but just about respecting God's definition as authoritative, Him being the one who created and ordained marriage. Homosexuality has existed for a long time, approved of by many, but it has not been marriage. Sin will continue in many forms, with those participating in such sin always seeking to call it anything but what it is. I will use the terms God's Word uses and as they are some of the oldest writings in existence, the person who made up the word is allowed to define it.

Do not misunderstand, homosexuality is condemned by God in no uncertain terms in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, judgements and defined in the Mosaic Law, and I see no indication that this was changed in any dispensation. Homosexual activity is sin. I care for and have compassion on those living in sin of any sort and wish to see them come to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. I don't care about the exemption status or legal ramifications as I generally avoid politics entirelys. Abortion is also sin, and calling it family planning or reproductive health are not going to change anything. Abortion is murder and homosexual relations are not marriage.



P.S. I don't support traditional marriage, either. Doing the same thing for generations over and over again doesn't make something good, righteous, or godly. I support Biblical marriage, as ordained and regulated by God. Man has added tons of traditions to the Biblical model, promoting some things which God did not allow and forbidding others that God ordained. Support Biblical marriage!

Addendum on Election Day 2012 
(somehow I was pulled into the political argument, hoping it would be to God's glory) 

We have in the first amendment the freedom of religion, that is the free exercise of our religion. If one truly believes something about any religion, be it Christianity or secular humanism, those beliefs govern what we desire our society to be. Thus, we vote and the majority gets to decide the laws for all. It is an imperfect system to be sure, but it is the system of government that we have and so we all are free to exercise our opinion and support the beliefs we have. My position is that God never called homosexual relationships marriage, but only the union of man and woman.

Even with this in view, I believe that the state has no business governing who is married to who at all. If such an option existed, I would vote to repeal all marriage laws entirely as it is God who governs marriage and people choose to whom they will give property rights and other permissions. God never handed marriage over to the church (the Catholic church did that) nor does the state have any right to "vest power" in state ordained preachers or otherwise to pronounce anyone married.

As my view is also not accepted by most Christians, I doubt if I will ever get my choice of options on the ballot at all. My quandry is whether or not to vote on this measure at all, as either choice may serve to bolster the state/church union (as I see it) in regulating taxation and property measures through the legal marriage system. No such arrangement existed in the Bible, rather a man sought a wife and made arrangement with herself (if widowed) or her father (if single) without any priestly, state, or other officer in charge. Thus, Biblically there is no reason for the state to allow pastors/priests/preachers to "officiate" as a state authority. The fact that ordained clergy are recognized as state ministers and allowed to officiate would be a shock to our founding fathers.