Wednesday, April 25, 2012

God's Word is preserved!

How we approach the interpretation of Scripture is key to applying it in our lives. We must use proper hermeneutics to find what is there rather than what is easy to accept. One recent doctrinal argument from my dear brother in Christ was built solely around the KJV being the only real Bible, saying that the English translation is superior to the original languages and that if the Bible uses a certain English word in the KJV then that is without question exactly what it means. This is errant I believe, and so I wanted to share my thoughts on this topic. Understand my heart is not to divide the body, but to see unity as we come to God's Word as He saw fit to have it written by men of God who spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Hebrew Bible
Rejecting the original language writings or considering them currently inferior to English  would in my estimation lead to the conclusion that Moses didn't really know what the Law meant, nor did Jesus or Paul, as none of them saw fit to study, speak, or write in English. It is either that or that God chose a different language for this dispensation, which would reject the Jews as having God's Word in the current era if my logic is correct. I don't mean to oversimplify this issue, as I know many dear brothers and sisters are adamant about their position.

If KJV is the only authoritative Word of God, the Jesus even misquoted Isaiah when He read the scroll, as He uses different words comparing those passages in the KJV. Add in the fact that the first edition read in Exodus 20 "Thou shalt commit adultery" (OOPS!!) and you realize quickly that any work of man is fallible, which is why we rely on the inspiration of the Holy Spirit for our Scriptures.

Reading the notes of the translators of the King James edition, they stated the same as fact, that they were not inerrant but did the best a human could do when handling something so important as God's Word. The argument I often get in return to questioning the KJV as the only English Bible was "So you don't really think God is capable of preserving His Word?!!!!" This argument is inflammatory and illogical. I believe the heart of those who have said this to me is pure and their desire is to stand up for God's truth, but nonetheless the argument seems errant to me. I am not saying that any other version is perfect either, but only the original documents which God truly inspired, which agree in all fundamentals though they have been handed down for many centuries through copies and copies of copies, etc.

Chinese Bible
I do believe God has preserved and still preserves His Word in the original languages even if we are not cautious or diligent enough to seek it out, which I believe is why we have thousands of copies in the original languages. I believe that one will find the authentic message of the Gospel in any language (unless perversions are intentionally added by the work of man which has been submitted as a theory) and that we need not know these languages in order to study God's Word. Studying the original languages is surely beneficial as long as it is done accurately, and some scholars have wisely done so in such things as the Strong's concordance and other such tools. 

This is more broad a discussion than we started with, but I am still learning all along the way by God's grace and am so blessed to see His hand guiding me as I learn to listen to the Holy Spirit and the Word who became flesh and dwelt among us. Have I mentioned lately that I am more in love with the Lord today than I have ever been, and that the more I learn the more I see I am nothing without Christ and still yet a child in His wisdom? Just thought I would mention that!

Grace to you and peace through our precious Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.