Friday, December 16, 2011

Yes, it hurts

I recall earlier this year when Usama Bin Laden died, people were all excited, shouting and parading around in the streets. While I understand the joy from knowing a certain terrorist will never again contribute to the death of another human being, I still mourn the loss of a soul from God's love and mercy. This man most likely went to Hell when he died, and rightfully so. Even in the glory of God's righteousness and judgment, I agree with the prophet, "God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked."

Today, I heard of the death of Christopher Hitchens.  People wonder how I can say with honesty that the news of anyone's death outside of Christ truly hearts my heart. Maybe I am getting soft, or maybe this reflects the heart of God. I will let folks decide for themselves. Hitchens's life was noted for his disdain for the God who made him, and I enjoyed the blog post by Doug Phillips of Vision Forum.  I urge you to head to Doug's blog and check out what he has to say in reflection of the life and death of an icon. An excerpt is copied below.

Like all outspoken Atheists, Hitchens was a man obsessed with God. Over the course of his life he wrote numerous articles, books, engaged in debates and conducted many interviews — a goal of which was to warn people to see religion as a dangerous blight on humanity, and to free themselves from the “mythology” of Christianity. Hitchens spent most of his life talking about God, ridiculing God and making his income by selling hatred for God through his unique, acerbic wit and acrimonious repartee. All the way to the end, a primary subject of his discussion in interviews was God. He spent his life thinking about a Creator he told others did not exist.