Friday, November 18, 2011

I am a Christian and I DON'T VOTE....

Now that I have your attention, I want to explain why I don't vote, and also talk about the documentary film "180" recently put out by Living Waters, hosted by Ray Comfort. This video shows interview footage of many folks who do not even recognize the name of Adolf Hitler. Hitler, for those who missed the notes on a world war or two, was the zealous mouthpiece of the Nazi movement. Hitler's beliefs about Jews, mentally handicapped people, and everyone but those he deemed to be acceptable, caused the death of 11 million people by some of the most dreadful means known to modern history. Sadly, it was not just this maniac Hitler that caused such destruction, but millions of educated, seemingly intelligent people who were deceived into following,  funding, and putting into action these Satanic plans of genocide.

Ray Comfort in this video speaks of the Nazi's disdain for certain types of people, considering them to be less than human, and therefore making it acceptable to order mass murder of anyone in these subhuman groups. The abortion issue is brought into the spotlight in "180" comparing the sanctity of human life for the Jew or other less than perfect by Nazi standards, with that of the unborn child. Comfort explains the issue on camera to people, and encouraged those being interviewed to vote against abortion. It might seem to those who do not know Ray Comfort's work very well that he supposes that voting for pro-life politicians will change the minds of the populace and cause them to stop having, paying for, and providing abortions, also known as the government sanctioned murder of babies. 

While Comfort does ask people to vote differently, this is surely not the main point of the film. I assume it is not the voting conservative or Christian public that is having the abortions, but I could be wrong. If it is those identifying themselves as Christians who are paying for or having abortions, then I would argue that they don't understand Christianity very well, as Jesus told us not to kill, or even be angry with our brother as the desire to sin is just as sinful as acting on said desires. Still, some have told me over the years that the likes of Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority could have fixed our country if only Christians would have voted more.
I have an issue with this political fix to a heart issue.

You see, I have not voted in any election since about 2000, and I wonder if I had been wasting my time
long before casting my vote for Bugs Bunny as he did not win the presidency. Don't worry, I didn't really vote for Bugs even if he might have made a better president than some who have lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I know that most Christians, atheists, and about everyone else I have ever discussed the topic with considers my refusal to vote to be stupid and irresponsible. The fact is, when they put someone up for public office that follows the Bible in his or her decision making, I just might brush off my voting pencil. The trouble is that I have never found one of these. Those that have been pushed as the next big possible victory for Christendom in politics have usually ended up backing out on campaign promises at some point, usually bowing to pressure from those who have wealth, power, and place. Maybe they are picking their battles, maybe they are showing their true colors. Either way, they have never been terribly effective in my estimation, and at times have become terrible testimonies for those called by the name of Christ. I don't see how anyone can lie about what their goals are or bow to pressure and still be pleasing God, and those who do not crack under pressure turn out to be pretty ineffective for the most part. I think they would do well to use the TV time to proclaim the Gospel!

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if anyone else votes. They are welcome to do whatever they believe God would have them to do.  For me, I have found myself avoiding many silly or distractive arguments that could be made as I share the Gospel with people that hold very strict political viewpoints. 

Imagine this scenario: I walk up to a man at the park, handing him a Gospel tract or inviting him to an evangelistic event. He says, "You Christians are the reason (insert political argument) happens!" or "That (insert Christian politician's name) is one of you guys, and he/she is a liar and a crook"  to which I respond that I did not vote for/against said issue or candidate, nor do I know them personally, and so it does not affect me. I then get straight back to the Gospel. I have not weakened my stance on anything, as I have no care for politics. I stand by whatever God's Word says, and I don't even have to examine many issues, just obey God. This man and I then talk about whatever the subject is using only Biblical argument, and I get to share the Gospel with him having learned well from the example of Ray Comfort in swinging a conversation from the natural to the spiritual. 

  • I don't care about taxes, though I do "render to Caesar what is Caesar's" in obedience to Romans 13, 1 Peter 2, and Jesus' own words. We obey the governing authorities in home education laws, taxes, and speed limits, even when they seem unreasonable. Talk about a crazy idea in today's society. 
  • I don't argue about welfare or healthcare, as it is up to those elected to decide how to spend tax dollars. Christians are called to care for others. Acts 2:41-47 and the feeding of the widows in Acts 6 would be useful citations to how Christians ought to deal with those in need. The Bible does say that if a man will not work, he should not eat. Discernment and prayer will be the guide as to whether said man will not work, can not find work, etc. Grace is exercised, but handouts to those able to work are not agreeable with God's Word. 
  •  I can't argue about who is/should be/should not be in political power, whose policies I defend, or what I think of "Occupy Wall Street" as I haven't wasted my life keeping track of such things. If these are disobedient to authority, then see my earlier point. If they won't work, but expect to eat, then see my second point. If something is a matter of conscience before God, we exercise grace. If it is a matter of disobedience to God, then God's Word tells us how to deal with such things. 
Getting back to the Gospel and the man in the park, how does this position keep me from distraction? What I do with this man is discuss every issue from abortion to taking care of the needy, all with complete credibility because I take my stand with God and His Word in all things. I don't oppress the poor, in fact I am poor, and I am fine with that. God has supplied our needs as we seek Him first and His righteousness. I don't take money from the government and so can not be accused of being a drain on society. I obey Jesus' words, "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven". This principle is one of many that help us use God's wisdom in our daily lives. 


You know what? This approach works! I have successfully avoided every single political argument that serves as a a distraction to sharing the Gospel. In most cases, I can relate directly to God's Word on a topic, showing them in the Bible what God says on a topic. I can do so with integrity, and it has shown great results. Right after an unsaved person realizes that I am not there to discuss what other Christians do, but what Christ did, the side arguments are over and we can just deal with their position before God and how to be reconciled by faith in Jesus Christ. 

The only people who seem to want to argue politics with me are Christians, and so usually I avoid the argument among the family of God by talking about the Lord instead. Sadly, many of my well intentioned brothers and sisters in Christ would rather argue about social ills or financial policy than to glory in the grace of the Lord with me or encourage, exhort, and testify of God's working in their lives. And so, we come back to the movie "180". I believe that this film does a good job at showing how disregard for any human being is against God's desire as revealed in His Word, the Bible. Disregard for human life becomes socially acceptable in some cases, and so the slippery slope begins and eventually anything goes. I believe there is room in the Christian life for voicing the truth and for making the assertions proclaimed in the film, but as Ray Comfort did so well, these arguments should be used primarily as a base for sharing the Gospel rather than just trying to convince people to vote differently. 

I understand and appreciate Mr. Comfort's desire to see people vote differently(though not his main objective), and so I believe there is grace in this situation. It is not sinful to vote,  nor is it sinful to abstain from voting. It is a matter of conviction, and I apply Romans 14 in this situation. I don't hold the same conviction about politics as many of my brothers and sisters in Christ, but I am not governed by their convictions. My brothers and sisters also are not governed by my convictions, and so I do give my approval to the film. I feel that I could not write a blog post about the film without dealing with this issue, but I will continue to help spread the message of the Gospel which is well bridged from the natural to the spiritual. Ray Comfort is especially skilled at bridging any such issues to show the grace and mercy of God and salvation by faith in Christ Jesus, and show people their need for a Savior in Jesus Christ.

I thank all those responsible for the "180" film for their hard work to save the lives of babies, the broken hearts of mothers who have made the wrong choice, and sharing the message of forgiveness of all sin by repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. The pain of those who have chosen to kill their babies lasts a lifetime, but healing can come, restoration and forgiveness are available. We are not the judges, but the ambassadors for Christ in His reconciliation. If you have not yet seen the 33 minute documentary, I suggest doing so today. The video can be watched on our "Media" page and can be viewed at their main site, http://www.180movie.com/