Saturday, January 15, 2011

A name change is needed

In recent days our family has been blessed to meet a few brothers and sisters in Christ. Their names would not be recognized to anyone outside Key West for the most part. Yet, some of the saints here have helped God change my perspective on many things. I just wanted to share about why I changed the name of our blog. Though our intention has always been to go wherever the Lord leads, we earnestly desire to reach the world for Christ. I was just struck this morning at the pride in naming my blog such a thing. You will note at the top of the page that our name has changed to something that I believe reflects who we really desire to be in the work of the Lord.

I have met men and women who serve God with all their hearts, their lives, and all their minds. These have even vocalized their desire to be anonymous in the Lord's work. I have preached from dozens of pulpits, and have found that my desire to do so diminishes with each passing day. I would rather speak to my neighbors, walk the streets, and give anonymously. The reason is that I am weak and need to be humble, following God's Word for His glory and not my own. Sadly, as I look back on the last two years of "public  ministry" I can recall a few times when I "tooted my own horn" and for that I have had to repent before the Lord for taking any glory that rightly belongs to Him alone.

A few days ago, our friend Joshua came along to visit, and we had to cut short our visit due to an appointment I had. Joshua brought a man named Earl with him, and they were headed to the library as it was cold and windy outside. You see, these brothers in Christ are both homeless. One by choice, the other by necessity. We shared the food we had with them and sent them out with more to eat later, and went on about our day. When other men came along the next day for a Bible study, I shared with these men my struggle. I long to get to know these homeless men, to help meet their needs, and to encourage them in the Lord. Others in their position have come demanding of us, in great pride and anger, and I truly believe that God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. It was easy to send the angry man away after offering many ways to help and then hearing him refuse the help offered.

Yet, when Joshua and Earl came, their intent was to study God's Word together. Another man, Brian, has visited a few times and even came out to the services last Sunday. Brian accepts help humbly and speaks of spiritual things, and though we do not agree on some essential  doctrines, he is humble and glad to have any help we can offer. We continue to lift up the Lord Jesus Christ and hope that Brian will come to repentance and salvation very soon. There are many others in the "homeless population" that our family talks to every day, and our desire is to help them find the truth of God's Word and eternal life through Jesus Christ. Today was different though.

You see, today I have a migraine headache. I am sitting in a dark room listening to a sermon playing just loud enough to hear, but not loud enough to hurt my head. My wife and children went to the library, their typical Saturday morning routine. They made sure I had what I needed and then left me to try to sleep or at least get by the tremendous pain that accompanies a migraine so that I will be able to greet our guest speaker tonight when he arrives. I need to be rested for our time of worship tomorrow with the saints here. My wife had left just a few minutes earlier when I heard a knock on the door.

Upon hearing the knock, I thought  I should just stay in bed. After all, I would have to change from my pajamas and go out into the bright light. I didn't want to get out of bed...but I did. When I got to the door, Earl was writing a note for me, supposing I was not home (I suppose it was a few minutes getting to the door) explaining why he had stopped by. This man, in his 70's from my best estimation, felt that  he needed to come by and thank us for our help, for the food and such, and brought us  over some food to share. He also apologized for not accepting our offer of supper that day we first met. His reason I knew, though he did not share it with me.

I know that KOTS (Keys Overnight Temporary Shelter) opens at 6pm and if one wants a warm place to sleep, they need to be there early enough to get in line. Earl's age and slim frame keep him from staying warm on these recent breezy and cold nights. If Earl had come here for supper, he would have had to sleep out in the cold, and it just wasn't worth the risk to come to supper at our home. KOTS provides a bed and a shower, but not always food. At times, churches donate food or a caterer drops off leftovers from a night's work. Even the bed and showers are only available to a certain number, so one must be there early to get in.

So, as I lay here in the dark, I am thinking about Earl and Joshua, Brian, Warren, Darren, Jackie and David and a few others of our friends without homes. To my shame, I have forgotten some of their names. I think about how Earl would come here humbly to apologize for not taking a meal with us, and to drop off some food to share with us. His mouth pours forth quotes from God's Word which he has  hidden in his heart for many years. His quiet and gentle spirit speaks volumes about his character, and he reminds me that I need to be humbled once again. We carry on with the work of the Lord with much weakness and humbly ask God to bless our meager efforts with the power of the Holy Spirit. Without Him, we are useless, but with the Holy Spirit guiding our steps and giving us words to speak, we will accomplish our part of the Great Commission. We will reach the world, but not by ourselves. We have brothers and sisters laboring alongside us from every walk of life, every nation, every tongue, working together in one accord, and all for the glory of God our Father.

I hope you think about the name change of our blog, albeit inconsequential to most. Some probably never even remembered it at all. I pray that who we are fades into the darkness and the light of the Lord shines through. Thank you for reading, I pray your heart is encouraged, and that you walk in the light of the Lord Jesus Christ today and every day. When we are weak, God's strength is manifested, and in all things we give Him all the honor and glory, for He is worthy.

a  servant of the Lord of glory,