Monday, August 2, 2010

A little help is sometimes necessary.

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, 

Our family arrived safely in Kentucky a week ago today, and we have been put directly to work in preparation for the wedding of a lovely young couple who are dear friends. With all the things that need to be done, it seems I have done more physical labor this past week than I have in a long time. This is a blessing as I have been able to do so with much less pain than I was experiencing just a month ago. My back continues to heal and I am learning to take it easy on the lifting, what I can/should do and what I must leave to others. I find myself asking for help often, and see more and more each day that there are some jobs you can not do alone.

This offered me a spiritual lesson also. Often, when we see a need in someone's life, or the local church, my tendency is to just jump in and fix it. Surely it is best to help wherever possible, but at times it is really not my place. I must qualify that statement, as I feel some may misunderstand. The default should be to help whenever and wherever a need is identified(not say, "it's not my job"), but we must recognize that we are not equipped with every spiritual gift necessarily, and that we must seek the Lord's leading as to continued involvement in these areas of help. God has placed elders, deacons and people of every spiritual gifting in the local church, and no church will function properly with a single person doing all the work that was designed by God as an interdependent body functioning together for edification and for God's glory.

We see this more and more since we travel to different cities, cultures, and churches. Sometimes the Lord already has folks in place to meet these needs, and I would be out of place to take over. Other times, God may have put us here, now, for the specific task at hand that we can help with. We must be willing  to do anything God calls us to do, knowing that if He calls us to do it, He will provide what we need to do the job. We also must be willing to allow others to step in and help. As we hear of strife and division in churches around the country, we are heartbroken, as is the Lord. God is shamed in public so often by folks that refuse to humble themselves and seek help, or by those who are motivated by pride and refuse to change or even recognize that they may be wrong. Issues of sin and such must be dealt with, but must also be bathed in prayer, not gossip.

Of course, all struggles within the church must be handled in love, with the goal of reconciliation. If there is sin to repent of, God will work in the hearts of those who are wrong. There must also be a willingness to forgive and restore a fallen brother or sister if they are willing to repent to God. We praise the Lord for the unity in most of the churches we visit, and are encouraged by the elders who take up the role of guidance and shepherding in accordance with the Holy Spirit's leading. We thank God for all those who walk in meekness and lowliness, willing rather to be wronged than to get vengeance for some wrong done to them. 

As we look into the future, we ask the Lord for His leading, for grace and supernatural love that transcends the bounds of denominationalism and division. We seek to be like Christ, to follow His example and His teachings.  My back is not strong enough to bear the load alone, and I praise the Lord for all those who come along to help shoulder the burdens. I also thank Jehovah Jireh for providing the strength and stamina to bear the load that He has laid on us. It is a constant reminder that we are nothing in and of ourselves, but only in Christ with His strength, His power, and the leading of the Holy Spirit. Spiritual work is not accomplished by physical strength, but in humble submission, allowing God to work through us for His glory.

Mark