Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Back injury updates, etc.

Greetings all,

I wanted to update you all, as many have written inquiring of my most recent back injury. I had a very similar injury a few months back, and this injury seems to be a reminder that I am not in the physical shape that I used to be. This type of injury heals slowly and lends itself to reinjury, and greater consequences long term. It seems that I will not be able to do all the things I would like to do, but I praise the Lord for His mercy and grace that should allow me to do the work He has called me to. If God wants me to "change jobs" I am willing, and we have seen His hand at work to show us more and more needs both in the body of Christ, and to reach the lost with the Gospel.

Truly, much of what I do is driving, walking, and standing. There is no lifting required to share the Gospel, to fellowship with the saints, or to work on discipleship. It is generally the "extra" work I do that causes the injury. This time, I was dragging a picnic table into the shade so that the family could cool off in the hot Kansas sun. Not exactly necessary, but at the time I had not thought it through. I will have to learn to be more conscious of what is and is not safe.

I love to play volleyball, cut firewood, work on cars, drive tractors, and build parade floats, but it seems that those things are the greatest cause of injury to me. I generally try to overdo, and don't know when to quit. Those that know me best know that I tend to be obstinate and self willed, characteristics that some consider "manly" but that have no place in the work the Lord has given me. The flesh truly has caught up with me, and when I bow to the demands of the flesh, suffering comes in more ways than one. I would appreciate prayer concerning this. Often, friends have reminded me that I ought to be careful, and I have disregarded that counsel. Please bear with me, and thank you for your concern. I am a very flawed man, for sure.

Looking to the future, I am healing well, being just 6 days since the latest injury. Still, I was advised that even one more such injury could cause permanent damage that could leave me in no shape to walk the town knocking on doors, or even driving our camper home from state to state. I would appreciate your prayer as I consider what I should and should not do, what the Lord desires to teach me while I have this time to read, pray, and recuperate.

This week, I have had a blessed time studying Malachi, James 2, Haggai, and a few chapters of Acts. I have also been reading "Reimagining Church" by Frank Viola, "True Discipleship" by William MacDonald, "George Muller's prayer journals, and much more. I also got a chance to listen to Keith Trevolt's message series from the Kentucky Fellowship Day, considering worship. These messages were tied in with the study of Malachi and Haggai. The Lord has been teaching me many things these last few days, and we have been blessed to have times of fellowship with many families.

Sara met with some young ladies the other night, and they had a great time of fellowship and considering women's roles in ministry, using the book "Raising maidens of virtue" by Stacey McDonald. Sara has found this area to have many young ladies to visit with, and they have been a tremendous blessing to us all. We had supper with our neighbors last night, and talked much of what the Lord is teaching us all, children, and reaching the lost for the Savior.

We are excited to see all the Lord is doing here, and so blessed to be a part of His greater plans. Every Christian, every blood bought believer in Christ, has a part in His plan for the ages. What a blessing it is to have relationship with the Creator of the Universe. To be in fellowship with all that call themselves by His name. We would love to hear what God is doing in your life, your family, your local church. Ideas for evangelism and outreach, stories of the works of God's grace poured out on mankind. Speaking of the Lord Jesus brings a smile to our faces, and a song in our hearts. He is altogether lovely, and it is such a privilege to serve our Savior.

Praise Him, Praise Him, Jesus our blessed Redeemer
Sing O earth, His wonderful love proclaim
Hail Him, Hail Him, highest archangels in glory
strength and honor give to His holy name!

Like a shepherd, Jesus will guard His children,
In His arms He carries them all day long
Praise Him, Praise Him, tell of His excellent greatness,
Praise Him, Praise Him, ever in joyful song!