Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pictures of the homestead.

Well, I am finally done with planting trees and got 1/5 or so of the garden in the last few weeks. We have a lot of successive plantings planned, and work to be done on the back pasture area. We measured and have about 2/3 of an acre of pasture available, with 1/4 acre of lawn and garden. The rest of the .99 acre is buildings, driveway, and the like.
We planted 3 pear trees today in a line with our yellow and purple lilacs down near the road. We also got 75 strawberry plants that will be planted in a raised bed on the other side of the driveway near the property line and fence between us and our neighbors.
With the idea of grinding our own grain (we inherited a grain mill from a friend) we have been looking into the price of wheat berries and the possibility of growing some of our own grain, barley, and a few other staples beyond the normal garden fare.
It has been very busy at work also, with jobs kicking into high gear for the summer. Still, I only have to work 9 days a month to make the bills with a little to spare, so I am trying not to push it too hard. Also, my back is bothering me quite a bit lately. My L4 disk is bulging and causing quite a bit of pain. This is an ongoing problem that keeps me from doing all that I would like to do.
We did get to fill one of our wood stacks and most of a second. They hold 1/2 cord each and sit in front of the house. We can fit another 5 cord in the wood shed and I have 10 cord of so cut from last spring that should be well seasoned already.