Monday, February 11, 2008

Putting feet to your faith- get up and do something

OK, I have been harping a lot lately about witnessing. I have just finished going through my entire address book and written letters with a tract enclosed to everyone I know that I am not sure about their salvation. This was actually a freeing exercise for me. I often don't know how to talk to my father, my brother, aunts and uncles, about God. Many would rather argue or complain about their previous experiences with church or religion. Some are unsaved religious folk, and others would not ever think to pick up a Bible.
I did not do this to offend anyone, but rather to show how much I love them. I have been praying that God will show me someone that I need to share the gospel with, and I knocked out a couple dozen tonight. I expect a mixed response of those who are already sure of their salvation, those who are interested in learning, and those who will just blow it off and not talk to me anymore.
Today has been one of those days that God just took me out to the woodshed and beat me senseless. I could use more of those days. I hope that many, if not all of the people I reached out to, will ask more questions and that the Holy Spirit will work in their hearts so that they will see their need for a Savior from their sin. I was in church weekly as a child and taught about the Bible, but never put it to heart until I was 25. I had heard it all and knew the stories. I knew that I was a sinner, but there was no reality to what I knew. I had not surrendered my life to God and followed Jesus with all my heart. I had never experienced repentance that emptied me of guilt and shame from my sin. What a freeing time that was. What a change in my life, looking for what God had for me, instead of what I could get out of life.
It is with this thought in mind that I decided that it is worth risking offending someone for the purpose of showing them the love of God that reached down and offered us the free gift of salvation. Tonight, we read "Way of the Master for kids" book to the foster children. It has a full plan of salvation, starting with creation and following all the way through Jesus and the Apostles. I know the state will not be happy with this, but it is our duty to tell the kids what we know to be the truth. We will take the consequences whatever they may be, but we now can rest easy that we have told them the most important thing anyone will ever tell them, who God really is and what He has done for them. I pray that this seed of the gospel grows in their hearts and they are born again. We may not get to see that fruit, but we count it a privilege to follow Jesus in this way. Keep these folks in prayer, that God will open their hearts and minds to the truth.

Mark