Saturday, January 19, 2008

A hymn with a message- Since I have been redeemed

What wonderful and blessing words I see when I flip through the hymn book that sits on my desk. I am reminded of so many things when I hear some of these tunes. The words, however, spell out a devotion and praise to a God that is worthy of all our adoration and honor. They don't sound empty and vague, as many modern songs do. The song writers of old seemed to have a deeper devotion to the Lord and reverence for who God truly is. Some modern music does this too, but not nearly as often as the older hymns. It makes me wonder if we don't take as seriously the issues of sin, redemption, and what a might God we serve.
Since I have been redeemed-
"I have a song I love to sing since I have been redeemed. Of my Redeemer, Savior, King, since I have been redeemed. I have a Christ who satisfies. To do His will my highest prize. I have a witness bright and clear, dispelling every doubt and fear since I have been redeemed. I will glory in my Savior's name"
Redeemer, one who buys back a slave or debt. Christ was recognized as one who bought us with a price, paid our sin debt, and brought us into the riches of His glory.
Savior, one who rescues you from harm or danger. Christ died to save us from our sin and the eternal penalty that went with it.
King, speaks of the authority over all heaven and earth. One worthy of the throne. Worthy of worship, praise, and adoration.
The words "to do His will my greatest prize" doesn't sound like a self serving, moral relevance doctrine, but of someone who will "take up his cross daily and follow me" as Jesus instructs us to do. We have no reason to doubt or fear, because the God that made us and gave His only Son to save us is still on the throne. What a wondrous thought that is! We have no need to be anxious or worry what will happen, only the promise that if we follow His Word and the instructions given to us in it, we will be rewarded in heaven. I love this song and the thrill and excitement it shows.
I hope the words of this song stay with you and bless your heart as you remember who Jesus really is, or Lord, our Savior, and our King.

Mark